Friday, September 2, 2011

Grouch Chicken

So I have a bit of a confession to make. I have never cooked chicken drumsticks.  Apparently this is absolutely a ludicrous thing, or so says my husband. Growing up, apparently, he had no idea chicken came in any other form.  On the opposite end of the spectrum, my mother never cooked chicken on the bone or with skin, other than maybe wings for the Superbowl. We lived on boneless/skinless chicken breast, which to this day is my staple meat!
Well yesterday, all that changed.  I found a great deal ($.95/lb whooo) on Organic Free-Range Chicken Drumsticks, and the deal seeker in me had to give it a go.  I absolutely loved the flavor in them, though I will admit, the whole bone thing was hard for me.  The kids both ate it though, Colton actually taking Loralei's right off her plate and finishing it off for her, so I will be making this again, and maybe I can get used to there being a bone in my chicken ;)

Grouch Chicken
12 Chicken Drumsticks
Marinade:
   2 C Fresh Spinach
   1 Tbsp Fresh Garlic
   2 Tbsp Onion Powder
   1 Tsp Salt
   2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
   1/2 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil

In a food processor, blend all marinade ingredients.







 In a large bowl, slather marinade over drumsticks and allow to marinade in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or as long as overnight if you have the time. 


When ready to cook, light grill to medium high. Once grill is hot, grill for about 20-30 min (depending on size), turning chicken every 5 minutes or so to get a nice even coloring.



We enjoyed our alongside an Avocado-Crab Pasta Salad (spaghetti squash of course).



2 comments:

  1. LOL! I am just like you, but my mom always cooked chicken with bones. I just didn't like eating them. When I started living on my own, it was boneless, skinless all the way...but my husband and kiddos LOVE drumsticks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to get used to the bones, but it is a weird change! I will get back to your questions tomorrow. Sorry for the delay, but today was our family day, so I am just now catching up on some computer work! Thanks for all the feedback and interaction!! I love hearing that people take an interest!!

    ReplyDelete