Monday, November 7, 2011

Chicken 'Noodle' Soup

This was my 'use it up' recipe for the week. We had a whole roast chicken earlier in the week, so I used the carcass and some veggies to make a nice stock, and the leftover chicken from it for the meat. The broccoli slaw makes great 'noodles' because it keeps a good texture while still absorbing a lot of the flavor from the stock. My husband hates the flavor of broccoli slaw, but he loved this soup. It was a perfect meal to come home from church to on a crisp day. Mmmm, my house smelled amazing, and we are still enjoying the leftovers!


Chicken 'Noodle' Soup
6 C Chicken Stock (preferably homemade)
2 C Water
3 C  Chopped Chicken, precooked
1 12 oz bag Broccoli Slaw
Salt and pepper to taste
Anything else you like in Chicken Soup. I threw in leftover asparagus we had in the fridge.

Place all ingredients in the slow-cooker and let simmer on low for 6 hours or on high for 4. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. I take the chicken carcass, skin and drippings, onion, carrot, celery, fresh ground pepper and enough water to fill my big stock pot and bring it to a boil, immediately reduce the flame and slow simmer them all day. I make sure to break the bones up a bit too so the marrow (what little is in chicken bones) comes out. Strain it and I freeze it in 2C containers (amount in a can, so easy for recipes). Hope that helps!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this today. My entire family loved it and even went back for seconds! This is definitely being saved in my recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you guys enjoyed it, Sarah! It is a favorite of ours, too!

    ReplyDelete