Friday, November 4, 2011

Apple-Sage Pork Chops

I have never cooked or eaten pork chops until last week. I know, I know, I may have been culinarily sheltered as a child! (I'm just kidding Mom ;)!!) I made some very plain last week to sort of taste test, and I have so many ideas for flavor profiles. This is one I did last night and it was so so so yummy!!! I was amazed that both of my children absolutely loved them. Colton ate an entire pork chop by himself, and Loralei ate about 3/4 of one, I kid you not!!!

Apple-Sage Pork Chops
6 Pork Chops
1/2 tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Onion Powder
1 Tbsp Sage
1/2 Medium Onion
1 Apple (I used a slightly tart Pink Lady variety)
2 C Stock
Avocado Oil

Mix salt, onion powder and sage in a small bowl.
 Sprinkle both sides of the chops liberally. 
 You could let the chops sit in the refrigerator for a while to let the flavors meld, if you have the time. Heat avocado oil in a large pan and begin cooking chops.
 I had to do this in 2 batches so I didn't overcrowd the pan and lower the heat. Cook 3-5 minutes on each side to get a golden brown color. 
You are not cooking them through, just browning. Remove browned chops and place them into a large casserole dish. 
Slice apple and onion very thin.  
Add more oil to the pan and begin caramelizing apple and onion slices.  Allow them to really cook down and get a good color.  
Once you have reached a nice caramel color, add in stock to de-glaze the pan.
 Use a spatula to really scrape those great bits of flavoring off the bottom of the pan.  Allow mixture to continue to cook until it is reduced by about 1/2. 
 Once reduced, pour sauce over pork chops and place into a preheated 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until chops are cooked through.
 The time will depend on how thick the chops are. Remove from oven and serve, being sure to spoon a little extra of the sauce over the chops. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment