Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Carmel-Apple Muffins

These turned out awesome! The smell of them alone was intoxicating! I don't cook/bake with dairy often. Even though both kids, and Steven, eat dairy on occasion, it is generally in more raw, snack form, rather than the actual dish, like homemade yogurt or in homemade Ice Cream on occasion. I do not do dairy often at all, maybe twice a month or so, but I did try one of these with the frosting on them as a nice treat! The muffins without the frosting were incredible too, but I am trying to come up with Fall Party options that will appeal to more than just Paleo eaters, and still keep my kids/us/Paleo eating friends grain/gluten free. And to note, there is no dairy in the muffin itself, just the frosting.

I hope you all enjoy!

Carmel-Apple Muffins
Apple Mix:
4 Apples
1/4 C Maple Syrup
1/2 C Water
1 Tbsp Cinnamon

Batter Mix:
2 C Almond Flour
1/2 C Coconut Flour
1/4 C Arrowroot Powder
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
4 Eggs
1/4 C Coconut Oil
1/4 C Maple Syrup

Frosting:
1 Block Cream Cheese
1/4 C Maple Syrup
1/2 tsp Maple Extract (make sure it is Carmel color free)
1/4 C Heavy Whipping Cream

Topping:
1/2 C Chopped Pecans

Peal, core and chop apples into bite size pieces.
Place all ingredients for the apple mix in a heavy bottom saucepan and turn on medium. Allow mixture to cook over medium for about15 minutes, till apples soften and sauce thickens.
 This will give you the nice Carmel flavor, without actually using a traditional Carmel. This should render about 2 cups of apple mixture.

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, combine dry batter ingredients, and combine wet in a separate bowl. 
Stir wet into dry and combine.  Once apple are cooked and cooled slightly, pour apples into batter mix and stir to combine.  Scoop prepared batter into 20 lined muffin tins and place into preheated oven.
 Allow to bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out cleanly.  Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.

When ready to frost, combine frosting ingredients in a stand mixer and whip for about 5 minutes till all ingredients are combine and frosting becomes slightly fluffy from the whipping cream. Frost muffins and top with chopped pecans.
 I only frosted 1/2 of them, as I know a couple do not eat dairy.   I was taking mine to a brunch, so I placed Carmel-apple sticks in them for presentation purposes. 
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Realizing this is an old entry, however, I stumbled on this the other night and made a slight variation for the GF as valentine's day gift and they were awesome, thank you! Would like to share a tip: you can make "frosting" or "whip cream" compatible with paleo/whole9/glutenless/dairy-free if you put a can of full coconut milk in the fridge overnight, then pour out the liquid next morning and whip up the remaining fat. I like to add a spritz of lemon juice to give it bite, and vanilla extract. Maple syrup will sweeten it for your kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you liked them! I have heard of the Coconut Milk whipped cream, but never tried it. Would it hold up as a frosting on something like this where they might sit for a couple hours or would it get runny? I put a can of coconut milk in the fridge to try! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ones I've used have remained solid all day. Internet suggests putting a pinch of gelatin in, but it doesn't seem to do anything for me. I have tried the types with guar and xanathan gum (before I knew about the additives, a relative of mine is lactose intolerant), and the other night was some brand without any additives. Would like to try someday with homemade coconut milk, too, when I have time.

    Bonus: try cocoa powder when whipping the fat while whipping for a chocolate mousse and/or frosting (I found a recipe somewhere for the chocolate/strawberry cakes, not sure it was you, but that would work very well). Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete