Friday, January 20, 2012

Butternut Squash Fry Bread

This turned out so yummy! They are super buttery and fluffy! I could have easily eaten a couple of these, but they are definitely a moderation food for me as they do contain tapioca and almond flour. That being said, the kids (and hubby) ate them right up, so I will be making another batch tomorrow! I don't moderate my kids carbs as much as I do my own because, well, they are kids!! They are expelling a lot of energy growing, running, playing, and being wild everyday, so I don't limit their intake of quality ingredients! Additionally, my husband maintains a higher carb version of Paleo as well because he feels better on one, especially when he is working towards more strength specific goals physically.


Butternut Squash Fry Bread
1 C Butternut Puree
2 Eggs
1/4 C Coconut Flour
1/2 C Tapioca Flour
1 C Almond Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
Fresh Cracked Pepper
Butter for Cooking

In a small bowl combine the squash and eggs. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients (except butter). Add dry ingredients into wet and stir to combine.

Preheat a tbsp or so of butter in a heavy bottom pan on the stovetop over medium to medium high heat.

 Spoon 2 Tbsp or so of the batter into the preaheated pan and allow it to cook for about 2 minutes on the first side.
Flip the fry bread over and flatten it with the back of the spatula.
Allow the bread to cook an additional 2 minutes or so till nicely browned on both sides and cooked through.
Remove from pan and enjoy warm!

*Something to note: I have found butternut squash to have different consistency depending on how you cook it. The consistency you are looking for is a thick pancake batter, so you may need to adjust the ingredients a bit to get that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment