Sunday, May 29, 2011

Paleodoodles

One of the sets of questions I get asked most about living Paleo has to do with sweets, and how we have 'given them up'. To be honest, we just haven't. There is a way to sweets without putting yourself into a sugar coma. Sweets have become a part of almost every aspect of American life. We use cakes to celebrate special occasions and achievements, we use ice cream to drowned a bad day and hard emotions, we use cookies to bond with our children and we use candy to show romance and love between a couple. These have just become ingrained in our culture. While I love candy, the way we as a society have done this has brought us to the point we are at, with the highest levels of obesity, heart disease and diabetes ever recorded.


So, why not take these moments and revise them. Still have the treats, but make them treats that are actually fueling your body with nutrition instead of empty calories. One of my goals is to give my family a full life, and to me that means not cutting out all these moments i have talked about. One of these is baking cookies with my 3 year old, and still making them delicious. This recipe I am sharing was one of my first attempts at Paleo sweets, and it turned out pretty good. I hope to continue to share my revisions as I go.


 I hesitate to call these snickerdoodles, b/c they really don't have that same mouth feel that snickerdoodles do. That being said, the actual flavor is right on! These are something I just came up with in my kitchen, and I think they are a winner, at least for me, as far as a treat goes. They aren't all that sweet, but they certainly are good!


Paleodoodles
1 1/2 C Almond Flour
1 C Coconut Flour
2 Tsp Cream of Tartar
1/2 Tsp baking soda
1/2 Tsp salt
3 Tsp Cinnamon
1/4 C Raw Honey
1 Stick softened butter
~1/3 C Water

Mix all ingredient together and taste. Add more honey or Cinnamon as you see fit. Spoon onto a cookie sheet and press down slightly to flatten. These will not change shape in the oven like conventional cookies would, so make them as uniform as you can for baking time purposes. Bake at 350 for  about 10 minutes, give for take 3-5 minutes, depending on size.

No comments:

Post a Comment