Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Maple-Orange Carrot Cake

This cake came out incredibly moist and delicious! It didn't even need a frosting, but I threw a GF Butter one on to add a little extra fat and another splash of orange. I hope you enjoy as much as we did!

Maple-Orange Carrot Cake
1/2 C Coconut Flour
1/4 C Arrowroot Flour
1/2 C Almond Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 C Shredded Carrot
1 C Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
2 Eggs
2 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup (could use a bit more if you want a sweeter product)
1/3 C Melted Coconut Oil

Preheat oven to 325. Melt a couple tsp of coconut oil in a medium size Pyrex style baking dish.
 Peel and Shred 2C of fresh Carrots.

Juice 1C of fresh Orange Juice.

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
Add in shredded carrot to the dry ingredients and mix well.  (I know you won't have the cutest little helper in the world like I do, but do your best ;-)
In a separate bowl, combine orange juice, eggs and maple syrup. (Reserve a couple Tbsp of Orange juice if you plan to make the frosting.)
Pour the wet into the dry and stir to combine.
Melt the coconut oil and add it into the prepared batter.
Pour batter into coconut oil greased dish.
 Place in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until baked through.
Allow cake to cool completely in the refrigerator before cutting and serving.

I prepared a simple frosting of 4 Tbsp GF Butter (allowed to soften completely on the counter), 2 Tbsp Orange Juice and 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup. Whip ingredients in a stand mixer for about 5 minutes till it comes together and becomes nice and creamy.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This looks like a keeper. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you've answered this before but I'm not sure where to look for it. Where do you get your flours? For almond flour all I can find is Bob's Red Mill which I heard doesn't give good results for baking...have you had any problems? And for arrowroot and coconut I've only found them in bulk in Poulsbo which is kind of a long drive. Just wondered if you had found a closer source. I'd love to make this cake:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For Coconut Flour (and really all Coconut products), this one from Tropical Traditions is by far the best quality. http://secure.ttpurchase.com/welcome.cfm?ptuid=015D408B-1E0B-90B3-0E9C8F75504C8507
    Arrowroot I do have to drive to Poulsbo for too. I haven't been able to find it around here, though I hear that once the new WinCo open (April 1st I think) they will have a big bulk section similar to Central Market!
    For the Almond Flour, Honeyville Farms is by far the best. It is always super fresh and gives baked goods a much better texture than any other I have tried. http://honeyvillefarms.net/index.php
    Hope that helps! Did you get my FB message about dinner? I got a message back that said deliverable, and I'm not sure if it worked when I resent it.

    ReplyDelete